The Benefits of a Smoke-Free Policy
Multi-housing owners, managers, and residents can all benefit from a smoke-free policy. Smoke-free buildings are cost-effective, safe, and healthy.
View our video about the benefits of smoke-free housing.
- Here's how a smoke-free policy protects your pocketbook, your property, and your residents (English) (Español) (10-23-2015).
Click on the headers to learn more about each benefit.
- Market advantages: Buildings may be able to attract more renters by going smoke free.
Research shows that renters want smoke-free housing! Many renters are even willing to pay more rent and make other sacrifices, such as walking farther to a bus stop or driving farther to work, to live in a smoke-free building. (1)
- Reduced costs: Cleaning costs are lower when you don’t have to scrub, paint, and replace items in an apartment that smell like smoke or are covered in residue. Find out how much you could save with this smoke-free housing cost calculator.
- Reduced fire risk: Smoking-related fires are deadly and costly. By going smoke-free, you eliminate the source of smoking-related fires.
- Smoke-free policies are legal: A building owner/manager can legally make a rental building (or entire property) completely smoke free.
- Protection from secondhand smoke: All residents, guests, and staff members are protected from the serious health dangers associated with secondhand smoke exposure.
- Additional benefits to going smoke free:
- Potential insurance savings
- Fewer complaints from residents
- Credit toward "green" certification (like LEED)
- Credit toward a Low-Income Housing Taxing Credit (LIHTC) Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP)