The Benefits of a Smoke-Free Policy
Multi-housing owners, managers, and residents can all benefit from a smoke-free policy. Smoke-free buildings are cost-effective, safe, and healthy.
View our video about the benefits of smoke-free housing.
*NEW!* View our infographic about the benefits of smoke-free housing.
Click on the headers to learn more about each benefit.
- Market Advantages: Buildings may be able to attract more renters by going smoke free.
Research shows that renters want smoke-free housing! Many renters are even willing to pay more rent and make other sacrifices, such as walking farther to a bus stop or driving farther to work, to live in a smoke-free building. (1)
- Reduced Costs: Cleaning costs are lower when you don’t have to scrub, paint, and replace items in an apartment that smell like smoke or are covered in residue.
- Reduced fire risk: Smoking-related fires are deadly and costly. By going smoke-free, you eliminate the source of smoking-related fires.
- Smoke-free policies are legal: A building owner/manager can legally make a rental building (or entire property) completely smoke free.
- Protection from secondhand smoke: All residents, guests, and staff members are protected from the serious health dangers associated with secondhand smoke exposure.
- Additional benefits to going smoke free:
- Potential insurance savings
- Fewer complaints from residents
- Credit toward "green" certification (like LEED)
- Credit toward a Low-Income Housing Taxing Credit (LIHTC) Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP)